Alain Pietrancosta is Professor of law at the University of Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne (France). He earned his Ph.D. from the University of Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne in 1999 and passed the “aggregation” of law in 2001.
Professor Pietrancosta teaches French and European business, company, financial and securities law. He also teached in the joint masters degree program run by the University of Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne, the Institute of Political Studies of Paris ("Sciences Po"), Columbia Law School, Cornell University School of Law and founded the commercial law curriculum at the École Centrale de Paris (engineering school).
He is the founder and director of the masters program in Financial Law at the University of Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne.
He is a founding member of the:
- - “Forum Europaeum on Corporate Boards” (FECB);
- - “Financial Law Research Center” of the Sorbonne Law School;
- - “Financial Law Association” (ADFIN);
- Labex (“Excellence Research Center”) “Financial Regulation” established in 2011 among the ESCP Europe Business School, the National School of Administration (ENA), the Conservatoire National des Arts et Métiers (CNAM), the National School of Insurance (ENASS) and three research centers at the University of Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (the Centre d’Economie de la Sorbonne in economics, the Institut de recherche juridique de la Sorbonne (IRJS) in Law, and the Pôle de Recherche Interdisciplinaire en Sciences du Management (PRISM), in Management).
He is a member of the:
- “Legal High Committee for Financial Markets of Paris” (created by the AMF (French Financial Market Authority), the Ministry of Finance, the Bank of France and the Ministry of Justice);
- "Legal High Advisory Committee for Corporate law”;
- “European Company Law Experts Group” (ECLE);
- ParisEuroplace legal committee;
- Corporate governance committee of the MEDEF.
- Member of the “Issuers Committee” of the French Financial Market Authority (AMF);
- Professorial Fellow of the Faculty of Law of Tilburg, Anton Philips Professor for the year 2008-2009 (Tilburg Law School’s Center for Company Law).
Professor Pietrancosta is the author of "The Influence of Financial Imperatives and Market Forces on French Corporate Law" ("Le droit des sociétés sous l’effet des impératifs financiers et boursiers"), Transactive, 2000 (and on Droit21.com), which was awarded a prize by the University of Paris I and by the European Association of Banking and Financial Law (AEDBF).
He has published numerous articles with respect to corporate, financial and securities law (Lamy Droit du financement, Dictionnaires Joly, Bulletins Joly, Jurisclasseur, Revue de droit bancaire et financier, Revue trimestrielle de droit financier etc.). He is also co-author of several books and a frequent participant at international conferences in the fields of corporate, financial and securities law.
He regularly consults for law firms and corporate clients and has served as a French law expert in a major lawsuit in U.S. federal court.